The Tani Oh ("Valley King" in Japanese) is the third boss from Metal Slug: Super Vehicle-001.
The Tani Oh is a prototype heavy artillery tank, armed with two huge cannon capable of devastating large areas without much effort: these twin guns are possibly an experimental railgun, since their shots are instantaneous light bolts and the turret, instead of ejecting the expanded casings, discharges smoke and heat from the vents on its back. It is also equipped with two turrets on each side, both with a minigun and a mine launcher, to cover the tank in short range. Only one unit was produced, being used by the Rebels for testing purposes in the Käthehirt Valley.
The Tani Oh is a very simple, yet deadly boss. It moves in a lower platform compared to your character, so it will always be below you, forcing you to jump constantly (without the Metal Slug) to shoot at him. Its main weapon is its large double railguns, which not only covers a big area, but is also very fast. It also throws mines everywhere in your path and will sometimes use its miniguns to kill you. Having a Metal Slug while fighting the boss makes things a lot easier. Warning: If you blow up its two smaller turrets, it will constantly use its main laser turret, which goes a lot faster on it's own, making the battle a lot harder.
Also, while you're fighting Tani-Oh and choose to continue, instead of a Heavy Machine Gun appearing, it will be a Rocket Launcher, which only happens when fighting this boss.
In Other Games
The Tani Oh appears in Metal Slug: 2nd Mission for Missions 23 (The Tundra King) and 24 (The Ice Queen). The fight with the Tani Oh has two phases. First phase has the Tani Oh tossing range sensitive land mines onto the ground and occasionally shooting a rocket in three directions (center, diagonally left, and diagonally right). The second phase has the Rebels coming in from both sides and tossing grenades. The tank itself replaces its weapons with a laser that shoots vertically upward, which is dragged as the Tani Oh moves. The laser is able to hurt the Rebels, and they sometimes drop a gas tank as they are killed.
Tani Oh appears as a background boss in Metal Slug Defense in the Alaska stage in the world 6. When you fight the Tani Oh in MSD, the Tani Oh was placed in the bottom of screen. This makes it very hard to damage it. However, Tani Oh can easily be destroyed via The Keesi II, Cabrakan 's Laser and Crablops' Leg jet engines.
Tani Oh has a special playable variant made for the Extra Ops: Santa Trap, where its main cannon and mine launcher is facing horizontal in order for to fire its cannons against the enemy units in front.
- The Mammoth Tank from the popular Command & Conquer series had a design similar to to the Tani Oh. The quadruple treads and the dual cannons are the standout features.
- Tani Oh's early design was based on British Churchil III heavy tank.
- Another of Tani Oh's early design resembles the British FV215 heavy gun tank prototype, though upon closer inspection, it appears to be a German Panzer IV-esque turret on the chassis of a Churchill tank.
- Its name (谷 王) means "Valley King".
- Tani Oh is the only boss (and the only time in general) in the series that drops Rocket Launcher instead of Heavy Machine Gun when the players use a continue.
- Tani Oh's pilot appears in Metal Slug SV-001 (Pachinko) and it's a woman named Leta/Letta. There is not much information about her other than her affiliation with the Rebel Army.
- Interestingly, if you shoot at the Tani Oh's Landmines after being launched, the mines will bounce back and can damage the Tani Oh.