Ptolemaios was supposed to be the native who was struck by lightning in the first stage cutscene and the true final boss from Metal Slug 5.
The tower has plenty of animations, most of which are lasers, spinning bits and pieces, and lighting. There are only two animations of the actual tower-rider: him looking forward, and him looking to each side (left and right). There are also a lot of debris sprites that probably would be background elements.
While no official reason has been given to date, SNK may have scrapped this boss due to time constraints. However, he made his official appearance in Metal Slug Attack, first appearing in the Extra Ops "Ptolemaic Attack".
Ptolemaios is extremely secretive, as only the masked soldiers in the army seem to be aware of where he is. In the standard army, no one, even the top commanders, know where he is located. He also believes that everything is pre-ordained and that it cannot be disrupted, as doing so will cause dire consequences.
He does not make an appearance again until the Extra Ops "Signs of Curse", where Ptolemaios revived himself through an unknown method, though it cursed him. He arrives back at the base, where his soldiers are happy to see their leader again. Annette confronts Ptolemaios and his Special Forces soldiers, and defeats him. It is unknown what happened to him afterwards.
In "Royal Identity", Ptolemaios tasks Mira with stopping a Rebel Army advance. A masked soldier is suspicious of Mira, though Ptolemaios assures him that she is on their side. When Mira drives the Rebel Army away, the masked soldier becomes terrified of her powers. Ptolemaios believed that Mira did fairly well and that she has given him additional time. He then tells the soldier not to worry about Mira, as she won't betray them.
It is presumed that the events of "Royal Identity" strengthened Ptolemaios, as in the Extra Ops "Cross Over Fate, Ptolemaios becomes incredibly powerful, harnessing the power of the Geographia as Abyssal Ptolemaios. This Ptolemaios travels through time to the past, to prevent the future from being changed by Elena and Licht after the two decide to go to the past to stop Ptolemaios before he becomes unstoppable.
First appearing in the story "Ωmegalpha", he is shown in one of the Red Goblin's nightmares. The Red Goblin later confronts and defeats him.
He later appears in the story "Cloak of Darkness", where he relays orders to a masked soldier for the Ptolemaic Army to bolster their strength for the "fateful" day.
- Although discarded, he features more animation sprites than the final enemy used in the game, the Evil Spirit Incarnate.
- Much like the Mammoth Tower, this enemy may have been a mini-boss in the Final Mission of Metal Slug 5.
- Some have noticed he bears a certain resemblance to Hollywood actor Sean Connery
- Based on the info from his character in Metal Slug Attack, it seems possible that MS5 would have had some backstory to this "Red Goblin" faction, as there is a playable unit of the same name. Not only that, his actual name has been finally revealed.
- The Metal Slug Attack "Ptolemaic Attack" Extra Ops' story could explain why he is unused in Metal Slug 5, because he was beaten by Red Goblin first, so the Regular Army fought Evil Spirit Incarnate as the Final Boss instead.
- In Metal Slug Attack's Another Story mode chapter for the independent faction "OmegaAlpha" further cements the backstory with both Red Goblin and Ptolemaios.