The Miner is a recurring NPC in the Metal Slug series, usually seen using his trusty pickaxe.
The Miners' role in various sequels they have appeared in seems to have retained for the most part, albeit with the involvement of factions or individuals concerned; an exception of this is in Metal Slug 2/X, where, in an ancient tomb located somewhere in Egypt, they are seen (possibly instructed by Scott Amundsen Jr. himself) excavating for precious relics and artifacts. Misfortune befalls them however as expected, they eventually find nothing valuable of any sort, and moreover, the mummies have been somewhat awakened - or rather disturbed - from their millennial slumber. One unfortunate miner was nearly turned into a mummy save for the miraculous actions of the P.F. team, giving him another chance to dig up loot for another time. The reverse side of this fact will reveal the targeted miner's fate of being turned into a mummy and attacking the player afterward, hinting the mummies' attacks are more fatal and contagious than witnesses seem to speculate.
The Miner in Metal Slug 4 has been diminished somewhat in his role; his confinement is exclusive to the entrance of the mummies route in the amusement park.
Although unplayable in-game, Miners can be quite helpful; while away the time until some of them will unearth bonus items for you (be it bread, a frog or a jewel). Shooting the Miner's dig spot will reveal further items too.
In Metal Slug Defense and Metal Slug Attack, the miner is the "builder" for stationary units, such as Big John. After walking a set distance, the miner starts building what unit the player had in the deck. While the unit is being built, it will appear, but will be flashing, showing that it is still incomplete. If the miner is hit while heading to the construction site or while building the unit, he will abandon his task and retreat back to base.
- In the second missions of Metal Slug 2 and Metal Slug X, in the miners' site before venturing deeper into the ruins, killing the Mummies using the Knife will sometimes result in a scene where the miner in question is revealed to be trapped until you kill the Mummies; he falls at first, immediately gets up and just as suddenly runs away from view.
- Miners may have an evidential tie-in with Scott Amundsen Jr. possibly due to his stint as an archaeologist, thereby concluding the fact he is actually the director of the excavation, and all the miners encountered therein are under his orders through some unnamed, or even unofficial, contract.
- Miners appear again in Metal Slug 4. Here, they are seen digging (probably for some unknown object) in front of the Mummies route. Upon entering, they are seen running into the temple, but for obscure reasons, they are unseen upon arriving at the temple.
- It is possible that miners encountered before entering the Mummies route were mere construction workers making renovations or repairs of the location itself despite the ongoing crisis.
- They may simply be employees of amusement park and share similar roles just like fake Mummies and fake Zombies.
- The fact that they were unseen upon entering the temple may perceive the thought that they suddenly abandoned what was supposedly their ongoing renovation for the building itself upon realizing the truth of the situation sinking in across the amusement park.
- The Miners' appearance in the Mummies route in Metal Slug 4 is an obvious reference to his involvement in Metal Slug 2, given the mummies encountered in the mission.
|Heroes||Marco Rossi | Tarma Roving | Eri Kasamoto | Fio Germi | Trevor Spacey | Nadia Cassel | Ralf Jones | Clark Still | Leona Heidern | Walter Ryan | Tyra Elson | Roberto Nicola | Nathalie Neo | Alisa Stewart | Gimlet | Red Eye | Tequilla|
|Support||Hyakutaro | Rumi Aikawa | Madoka Aikawa | Utan | Issenman Tarou | Eris|
|Villains||Donald Morden | Allen O'Neil | Abul Abbas | Rootmars | Amadeus | Evil Spirit Incarnate | Ptolemaios | Invader Queen | Allen Jr. | Oguma | Macba | Hilde Garn | Unknown Alien|
|Instructors||Sophia | Margaret | Lilly | Mary | Cynthia|
|NPC||POWs | Parker | Satiko Suzuki | Scott Amundsen Jr. | Miner | Genie of Lamp | Orca | President | Sailor | Rebel NCO|
|Cameos||KOF Team | Battle Cats|
|Unused||Achilles | Tabomba | Ptolemaios|
|MSA Newcomers||Scotia Amundsen | Pharaoh | Red Goblin | El Dorado | Professor | Dragunov | MS-Alice | Abigail | Vatn | Yoshino | Odette | Beatriz | Caroline | Cleopatra | Vita | Annette | Jin|