Metal Slug XX (reads Metal Slug Double X) is an enhanced modification of Metal Slug 7.
Metal Slug XX was released in December 2009 for the PlayStation Portable and Xbox Live Arcade with new content. These are backwards compatible with the PlayStation Vita and Xbox One. A remastered version for the PlayStation 4 was released in May 29, 2018.
New Features and Differences
- The screen is not re-dimensioned anymore, like in the Nintendo DS. Additionally, the player can select the aspect ratio of the screen:
- 4:3 (Classic aspect ratio with designed borders at left and right of the screen)
- Wide (Fullscreen)
- Clear (Like "4:3" but with a smaller screen for better visual quality)
- Rebel Troops reuse their sound effects from Metal Slug 6 (PSP and PS4).
- Old enemies reappear again, such as the Mars People and the Hunters.
- Change in items, Slugs, and enemy placement.
- A new announcer; bits and pieces of the previous announcers can be heard.
- Multiplayer mode by using ad hoc and online services. Unlike other games, there is no drop-in multiplayer,
- Leona Heidern as a downloadable character (Costs $0.99).
- Altered challenges in the Combat School mode. The Item Collection challenges are replaced by the returning Survival challenge and Super Devil rank. Players can switch characters without quitting back to the challenge list.
- New Special Moves:
- Implementation of Hidden Routes:
- Mission 1 - There should be a pitfall/hole before the Di-Cokka and the DANGER barrel. Go there and fight the hunters.
- Mission 5a - When you reach the end of the second part of the stage, it says GO right. Instead, go left until you find a teleporter. Go in the teleporter and fight UFOs and tons of soldiers.
- Mission 5b - Just like Mission 5a but do not go in the teleporter. Jump over it. You should fight hordes of Mars People in there.
- Xbox 360/Xbox One Exclusives:
- Achievements (12)
- Sound Adjustments:
- Leona uses a unique death cry than using her old King Of Fighters sounds.
- The Rebels use their old yells.
- The new announcer shouts "Final Mission Start" instead of the Metal Slug 6 announcer.
- PlayStation 4 Exclusives:
- Leona Heidern available from the get-go (no purchase required).
- 4K and 1080p resolution. The characters in the menu screen have been redrawn.
- Scanlines to simulate CRT and Arcade screens.
- Trophy support (30 including a Platinum).
- Metal Slug XX is the third installment in the series to increase the number of playable characters, from 6 to 7 with the addition of Leona.