Metal Slug 4 (メタルスラッグ4) is a run and gun video game for the Neo-Geo console/arcade platform created by SNK. It was released in 2002 for the MVS arcade platform and is the fourth game in the Metal Slug series.
Metal Slug 4 retains the same gameplay as previous titles, with the addition of some new enemies, bosses, weapons, several new vehicles and a new bonus combo system. It was later ported to Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation 2 along with Metal Slug 5 as a compilation.
A bonus scoring system was added that allows the player to be rewarded depending on how many enemies are killed in the time allotted. The time allotted is determined from the type of emblem that is picked up. A time meter will appear on the top of the screen, and if the player lives through the end of the level, they will be awarded bonus points for badges that represent feats accomplished. The route selection in Metal Slug 3 is retained here as well.
One year after the events of Metal Slug 3 and 6, the world is trembling under the new threat of a mysterious but deadly cyber virus that threatens to attack and destroy any nation's military computer system. With Tarma and Eri unable to help due to their own assignments in the matter, Marco and Fio are called in to investigate the situation and are joined by two newcomers, Nadia and Trevor. In their investigation, the group discovers that a terrorist organization known as Amadeus Syndicate is behind the nefarious plot and they head into battle against Amadeus' forces, hoping to destroy the cyber virus before it gets the
chance to wipe out the entire world's military computer system
The group's journey starts off in a city where there have been reports of Rebel activities occuring, so they investigate it to find out if the reports are true.
- Double Heavy Machine Gun : A stronger version of the Heavy Machine Gun [H] in the previous series. Allows players to carry two sub-machine guns which cause the damage of 1 per shot and with more rapid firing than Heavy Machine Guns. However, the 2Hs are very rare in the game and only have 200 shots like the Heavy Machine Gun.
- M-15A Bradley: First appeared in MS2 as an enemy rocket shooting vehicle, it is equipped with powerful rocket shots and a vulcan cannon like the Slugs. Players can use it after killing the enemy soldier inside it. However, this vehicle has a very short jumping range and crouches much slower than the other vehicles, and will not become temporarily invincible after receiving an attack from the enemy due to an in-game glitch.
- Metal Crow: First appeared in MS1 as the "Melty Honey" under the control of the Rebel soldiers. It will appear with Bradley in stage two if under two players mode. It is equipped with a blade-covered shield that shreds enemies, and also enables it to take five shots before it is destroyed. Also in stage 5.
- Walking Machine: Mechanical version of the sub-human mutants from Metal Slug 2/X which appears in stage five. Much like the animal slugs in the previous games, it provides no protection to the player, but has a slightly better jumping ability and also does not harm the player if it touches a rolling bomb.
- Forklift: It will appear in stage 5 with the Metal Crow. Like the Drill Slug from MS3, it can "jack up" if the player presses the jump button while onboard the Forklift Truck. It will stab the enemy with the fork at the front in the player presses the bomb button (plus, it destroys the enemy veichles with one hit of it). The Forklift Truck does not have a vulcan cannon; rather, the player uses whatever weapon they have. The player is always exposed to enemy attacks.
- Monkey Transformation: In the underground path of stage 1 and the final stage, there are scientists with rifles. These aren't loaded with bullets but a special chemical shot, that transforms characters into gibbons which are rather like the monkey Utan in Metal Slug 3. Players gain a much stronger jumping ability and the ability to hang on the bars over their heads, which saves them from most of the attacks from the enemy. However, they can only fire a small gun which is similar to the Heavy Machine Gun. As disvantage, they become slow. Players can be transformed back into human form by picking up an antidote dropped by scientists. Players who are hit by the chemical shot or by the attacks of the Rebels while in monkey form will die.
Metal Slug 4 is product of a joint-venture between Mega Enterprise, a Korean game publishing and distribution company, and Noise Factory, a Japanese company focusing on creating musical scores.
When SNK declared bankruptcy, Mega Enterprise still retained its rights to distribute several of SNK's titles within Korea. Mega went a step further by acquiring the authorization to continue to produce several of SNK's titles, primarily the Metal Slug series, which was very popular in South Korea.
Since Mega Enterprise did not have the technical expertise to produce a game from scratch, they grouped together with Noise Factory, which helped to make the soundtrack of the game and several programming and design concepts. After spending approximately 400 million won (approximately US$ 400,000), Metal Slug 4 was finally released in December 2002.
Bugs and Glitches
- The "Bradley Slug" has a glitch in which it doesn't become invincible after being hit, unlike other Slugs. This makes it very vulnerable, especially to the MH-6J Masknell, which can fire 3 shots at once. This glitch was added in Metal Slug Defense, where the Bradley cannot be stunned by bullets, cannons or any explosive. The Bradley Rebel version also cannot be stunned by incoming projectiles.
- The death screams of zombiefied Marco and Trevor are switched. When Marco dies in the zombified state, he screams with Trevor's voice, while zombified Trevor uses Marco's death scream when he dies.
- Both new characters have glitches on their melee attacks: Trevor can't move while he is performing it, which makes him vulnerable, while Nadia will only score 100 points from a melee attack while standing (which awards 500 points for every other character). Nadia scores 500 points only when a melee attack is done while sitting or crouching.
- However Trevor's melee attack glitch could be explained bacause his melee consist of him kicking the enemy using a hidden blade in his boots, thus he must be still to perform the kick.
Flyers and covers
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|