Metal Slug: 2nd Mission is a run and gun video game for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color handheld platform created by SNK. It was released in 2000 in both Japan and North America.
The success of the so-called first mission where the Special Forces Squad Peregrine Falcons saw battle has fallen down the memory hole, but new intel wends its way to the Government Forces. It seems the Special Strike Force "Phantom," led by the rebel army's Lt. Colonel Macba, has begun a campaign of insurgency and has taken many Government Forces soldiers hostage. Subsequent to that, an even more shocking truth is revealed. The rebel army has made contact with aliens and is proceeding with the development of weapons employing unknown technology. The situation is now critical!! There's only one option left: lay siege to the enemy base single-handedly and rescue the hostages!
This game has the same features as his predecessor, with slight improvements. Now you don't have to "change" your weapon to throw grenades. Also, now you don't die if the Metal Slug is destroyed. A new vehicle is available in the game, the Sub Slug, which is a small submarine used in underwater areas. The Sub Slug only fires torpedoes, never having a Vulcan like all slugs. Now you can choose between two different characters, each one following different plots, which are interconnected.
Differences from Metal Slug: 1st Mission
- The number of missions have more than doubled: thirty-eight (plus eight time attack missions) compared to the first game's seventeen.
- Two characters are selectable, both having their own mission routes and exclusive weapons. A third character can be unlocked by clearing every mission, and he is able to access all weapons and missions by level select (at the cost of starting the mission over if he dies).
- Grenades are thrown by the press of the Start button. Beforehand, the player must tap the Start button once to switch between their weapons and grenades.
- The life meter is now segmented rather than a gauge. However, the life meter can no longer be enlarged in this game.
- Player ranks were previously increased by collecting Rank Medals; in this game, the process is done by rescuing P.O.W.s.
- Destruction of the SV-000 continues the mission as normal instead of sending the player to Prison Camp.
- Destruction of the Slug Flyer immediately ends the mission to a new route. The parachuting minigame is replaced with the Drop Pack.
- The player has a set number of retries that can be increased every 20,000 points. In 1st Mission, a retry costs ten coins.
- When a boss is exploding or the player reaches to a character goal, they are given invincibility during the event. This is to prevent deaths in mission clears that occurred in 1st Mission.
- Gimlet: A PF recruit, is sent to investigate info about a new insurgence by the Rebel Army.
- Red Eye: Member of what would later be known as SPARROWS, she is sent to investigate info about UFO sightings related to the Rebel Army.
- Tequila: A secret agent specialized in POW rescue, he disguises himself as a Rebel. You unlock him after beating the game with both Gimlet and Red Eye.