The Bura Gariae is the boss of the first stage of Metal Slug 4.
This blimp, constructed by the Rebel Army and Amadeus Syndicate, is used for carrying troops to the field and to give support fire from any range.
The battle against Bura Gariae is divided in three phases.
- The dorsal part of the blimp releases mines while the soldiers use the turrets to attack the player. The spiky mines bounce toward the player, attempting to crash into the player. These mines can be destroyed. Each turret can be destroyed.
- The second part is the rear half of gondola, which periodically shoots a homing missile while rebel fanatics jump out of the gondola and riflemen emerge from left or right sides of the screen.
- The last part is the frontal half of gondola, which launches small missiles while shooting the player with a gatling gun.
In Mission 1, POWs periodically appear, providing the player either Heavy Machine Gun or a food item when rescued. In Mission 5, the Bura Gariae can be seen assisting the Sea Satan submarine. It attacks by launching rockets at the player.
- After clearing Metal Slug X, the credits will roll, showing the concept art for the previous Metal Slug games. One shows an early version of this blimp, which went unused.
- The back part of the blimp is included in the game data but never shown in the game
- In Mission 5, the damaged Bura Gariae assists the Sea Satan, despite the facts that its pilots were killed during the previous battle and the blimp was set on fire.
- The Bura Gariae resembles the famous "Hindenburg" Zeppelin airship.
- The balloon and style of the ship also bear a certain resemblance the ZRS Type Airship, with its tailfins being similar to those of the LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin.
- Like all Metal Slug 4 bosses, it was made using old sprites from previous Metal Slug games: